26 February, 2009

It's All Good

Finished Arendt, have moved on to Borges, Selected Non-Fictions, which is so difficult my lips move when I read it and I have to go one word at a time - it's like being four again!

I went to a free workshop on Sunday with the girl who won last year's Waterstones Children's Book of the Year award, Sally Nicholls, who was sickeningly young but also really nice. It was at the Whole Foods Market in the old Barkers building on High St Ken. In pre-credit crunch days, I would have thought it was an amazing cornucopia of New World plenty. Now, it seems a little passe and fiddling while Rome burns. She was very encouraging about the bit of my book that she read, and helpfully put me onto (1) an online writers' group which I have checked out, which seems pretty good, and (2) a literary consultancy called Cornerstones, which also seem pretty good. So, as Ari Gold says, in Entourage, it's all good, and anyway it helps to take my mind off all the shenanigans at work.

The other thing that I've got into, in the spirit of getting things for free, is home exchange - like that thing that Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet do in that towering monument to cinematic imbecility, Holiday. We signed up with HomeLink and have been drooling over other people's fabulous homes all over the world. More practically, we've managed to find a very nice place in Cumbria to home-swap with for the Easter hols. I love free stuff! I'm never paying for holiday accommodation again!

2 Comments:

Blogger dgny said...

*sigh*. When I read posts like this I'm miserably green with envy. I wish I were born curious enough to read intellectual things that were so complicated I'd have to move my lips. Or in French. Instead, I'm off watching Australia and not even minding it's a few hours of my life I won't get back.

I'm sure your book's perfect. Get an agent, dammit.

4:29 am  
Blogger FBT said...

Don't think I'm not trying!

8:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home