06 February, 2009

Old Lady

There was such a sweet old lady at the checkout at Sainsburys, when I went to buy the ingredients for Larry's cake. "I'll be 91 in June!" she said, and indicating her shopping, "Bangers and mash! That's my breakfast," (indicating the Weetabix), "and I have custard every day!" I would have liked to know more about her, like how long she'd been living in Wandsworth and, if so, what it had been like in days of yore, but she scooted off, showing a surprising turn of speed for one so advanced in years.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is that the Sainsbury's on Garrett Lane? I used to live just behind there.

3:30 am  
Blogger FBT said...

it is! my god, how old is that Sainsburys? what, near St Anne's church or thereabouts?

11:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I lived on Denton Street in 1989, before moving to Alma Road. Before Denton St., I lived on Putney Bridge Road.

Do they still have auctions in a hall near the Sainsbury's?

4:16 am  
Blogger FBT said...

you see, Fumie, that's what drew us together - it was that fatal Wandsworth karma. I was living in Balham in 1989, on Tantallon Road, little guessing that a sophisticated man of the world (for so you would have seemed to me at the time) was living a mere postal code digit away...

9:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

A mere digit away - I know you want me to pick up on that. So near, and yet so far.

I drove a rather sporty little Volvo in those days. Maybe you noticed it?

5:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home