19 December, 2007

Polar Exploration

Ever since we switched the central heating on (or "on-ned the central heating", as Malaysians would say), LSS and I have been scratching like mad, and Curly has been scratching and wheezing - curse you, dust mites! So yesterday we kept the heating off all day, surviving just on the gas fire in the living room. The flat is absolutely freezing! I was wearing thermals, tights, wool trousers, boots, blouse, new cashmere jumper from Uniqlo (they are doing 100% cashmere for GBP30 a pop! who can afford not to buy?), old cashmere cardigan from Episode and a lime green scarf that somebody left in our flat in HK, and was quite cosy by the gasfire.

The good thing about keeping your flat very cold is that when you leave the house, you don't feel appreciably colder. In fact, you feel slightly warmer because at least outside the house you can wear your coat.

Just finished reading Posy Simmonds' reworking of Far from the Madding Crowd, "Tamara Drewe". I like Posy Simmonds and this one is as well-observed as usual, but I could not understand why she made Tamara so unsympathetic. She's a beautiful shallow lying cheating amoral little slapper who gets everything she wants and doesn't get her come-uppance. Why is anyone going to like this?

9 Comments:

Blogger 962 said...

What you mean shes just like Tony Blair.

Are you not a tinsy bit missing Hong Kong???

I hate the cold and I have to rub lashings of cream on myself in the UK to stop me looking like a spring snake.

7:38 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why do you always deliberately miss out certain items of clothing from your lists, Phiz? Or do you?

7:51 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Were your delicate tropical skins better for having the central heating off? Can't imagine that Larry or Mo took this draconian measure too well.

8:15 am  
Blogger dgny said...

I had a terrible time with the dust mites when I first came here. We have forced air heat, so it just blows them all around, usually swirling in a mini cyclone around me. That's without mentioning the cats, who make me sneeze *and* itch.

It's better now: the house gets a full vacuum once a week, I have special dust covers on my mattress and pillows, I no longer sit on any of the stuffed furniture (hard wooden chairs for me), I don't pet the cats (this one is so so so so hard to resist, they're lovely little moggies), and the cats are forbidden from entering my room. All that said, I still can't wait to get into a smaller, newer, place that's animal-free...and in Europe.

3:30 pm  
Blogger FBT said...

Fumie, did I forget my fur-lined underwear again?

SMW, the kids don't notice the cold, we have to force them to put jumpers on.

DG, hurry up and abandon the over-rated New World for the clapped-out Old one. I would strongly recommend Italy, as I do not currently know anyone who lives there in a beautiful house that I can invite myself round to stay at.

4:31 pm  
Blogger random.thoughts said...

The George in Borough High Street is doing a nice glass of mulled wine to take away those winter chill blues...two of those and clothes will seem an extravagant waste of time!

9:52 pm  
Blogger dgny said...

Well, I can't leave until the G's new passport arrives, but believe you me, if someone would only GIVE ME A JOB, I'd be there in an instant.

Funny you mention Italy, someone was just telling me that Tuscany is every bit as nice as Provence - and I love Provence - but cheaper.

11:47 pm  
Blogger 962 said...

Tuscany, Tuscany how Provencial (sic)Its full of brits from the south who want to experience Italy by driving out the Italians.

Go South, far south Sicily is a good place to start to the east of Tuscany over the hills is another, but G not Tuscany.

I am partial to a bit of fur lined underwear myself. And on the subject of polar expeditions, British ones had their kit made by Burbury (sic) while the hardy Norwegians slaughtered reindeer and ran around with their coats.

Probably the reason why the Norwegians got their first and didnt die on the way back.

1:18 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Phiz, I could _never_ forget your fur-lined underwear.

10:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home