17 December, 2007

Weekend Activities

Hooray I'm on holiday for two weeks although many tedious things at work are still weighing on my mind.

Bought Larry a new winter coat - she and LSS like it. I think it will not be warm enough.

Went carolsinging on Bellevue Road on Saturday wearing my new Miu Miu coat. The moment I appeared a discerning woman in the choir whom I had never spoken to before said, Oh, that's a lovely coat! giving the sleeve a good stroke. Women are very discerning, I must say. It was very very cold, but the coat kept me nice and warm too. My digits were freezing though.

I now have a selection of Pamela Mann over-the-knee socks in navy, brown, grey and black and wear them at every opportunity, not just when I'm wearing skirts.

Bought a couple of cross-stitch kits from Peter Jones - one for Larry, one for me. So far, have spent most of the time unpicking our mistakes. Poor old Larry prefaced the project by saying in a winning voice, You're not going to shout at me, are you, Mummy? Not shout? How am I supposed to embark on any child-related project without the shouting?

8 Comments:

Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

I think you may have hit on an interesting "theory of children's coats". It is that the child loves it, one parent at least is open minded but the other thinks it won't be warm enough or is in some other way unsuitable. I've had this several times now, usually resulting in a screaming match. I am always disappointed when the girls turn up for things in skimpy little jackets when I think they should be wearing "Albert RN" duffles.

On the other hand, I did the same as a child and I'm sure you did.

9:15 am  
Blogger 962 said...

Freezing digits
One for the talents of the Fume I would guess.

9:48 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you go carol singing by yourself?

1:34 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Er, what happened to the slinky little black leather gloves?

I learnt my lesson last weekend, not to go out without checking all accessories in place: smm thought it would be a grand idea to go for a drive up the local 51-bends-of-death mountain pass to see the snow. Go out of the car to find gloves were at home, temperature was, not surprisingly, seriously colder at 1600m than at 400m, and a sharp wind was blowing. Such fun we had!

6:49 am  
Blogger FBT said...

SMW - well your round-robin photos looked so lovely I wanted to chuck everything in and go and live in a remote mountain fastness somewhere, so I simply don't believe that sub-zero temperatures render the place unliveable.

Icedink - as a child I never wore more than a teeshirt, shorts and flipflops. If I had to wear anything else I thought my parents were being unnecessarily formal and hidebound by convention.

6:53 am  
Blogger Songshards said...

I think my mom would agree with you about shouting. And if we were out in public where shouting was not allowed she would come up close and hiss through gritted teeth "I will give you a THUNdering slap if you don't behave." Silly us - we actually thought she'd go through with it. Needless to say everyone thought we were the best behaved kids in the neighbourhood.

11:02 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Not unliveable, just bloody cold without the right kit. SMM cavorts around the house (well, the vicinity of the fire) in his thermal undies which he says make him look like Superman.

2:28 pm  
Blogger Tiny said...

How come Larry thought you might shout at her? ;-)

I don't have the patience to cross-stitching. In fact, I can't sew very well.

3:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home