17 May, 2008

Ebay!!!!!

The reason I haven't posted for a while is because I have become obsessed with ebay. Every time I go online intending to post about some subject of general interest, such as the hunkiness of the fellow who's playing Henry V at the Roundhouse at the moment, I find myself irresistibly attracted to the items of Georgian furniture that I am currently watching on ebay. The other day, some bustard led me on to the very last minute, leading me to believe that I was going to get a Georgian chest of drawers for GBP75, before outbidding me in the last 10 seconds. Many colourful swearwords blighted the children's bedtime that day, I can tell you.

Went collecting for Christian Aid week today along Bolingbroke Grove. Apart from a couple of housing association blocks of flats, every single one of these enormous houses fronting right onto Wandsworth Common were owned by individual families. You will not be surprised to learn that we only collected about twenty quid. One woman said, when told which charity we were collecting on behalf of, said: "That's not relevant here," before shutting the door on us. You never said a truer word, baby!

The husband of the family we were collecting with works for the world's local bank. As does the father of the boy whose birthday bowling party Mo went to today. Does everyone work for the world's local bank?

Henry VI part 3 tonight - so looking forward to it. Turns out all it takes for me to fancy someone is a touch of Elizabethan swagger. LSS is happy because the girl who plays Joan of Arc/Margaret of Anjou is a fiery minx.

Reading Eclogues.

Flying to Chicago tomorrow. Virgin. Limo at 0845 on Sunday.

8 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Bolingbroke Grove? And you're watching the history plays?

Mixed feelings about the collection, being door-to-door puts pressure on people to give to a cause they may not agree with. Having said that am quite willing to believe that the people in the big houses are a bunch of arrogant t**sers who couldn't give a flying whatsit about the world outside SW12.

7:16 am  
Blogger Tiny said...

I guess I am lucky that I have never used eBay before. I don't think I need any more distractions.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

How long are you in Chicaho for, Phiz? I have a good reason for asking.

2:16 am  
Blogger dgny said...

I'm afraid you wouldn't have done very well at my house. Well, if it were *you* at my door looking for a handout, I'd give you my very last shiny quarter - even if I'd been saving it for the laundry change-eating machines.

But aside from people I actually know, I have a rule about giving money to people who come knocking. Of course, when I answer the door without a wig or eyebrows on, they usually mumble and stutter and move along without even a soft-sell.

4:32 am  
Blogger dgny said...

(...and Fumie, I'm sure there are *some* hoes in Chicago, but surely not enough to rename the city.)

4:33 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Curiously enough, DG, I often mistype Shanghai as Shaghai.

6:12 am  
Blogger dgny said...

Funny, Fumie, I was going to mention that Shanghai is *actually* Shaghai.

3:51 pm  
Blogger MacDuff said...

You must have see
You tube

12:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home