11 July, 2007

Persian Cuisine

Walked past a cafe yesterday with a menu in the window headed up: Mary's Sandwiches, with the subheading: Persian Cuisine.

Ah, yes, Darius the Magnificent always liked to start his campaigns with a nice tuna mayonnaise sarnie, while Ataxerxes swore by egg and cress.

Just finished reading a book called Utopian Dreams by Tobias Jones, which I rather enjoyed. But when I read the reviews they were rather snide and sarky. I find this strange, since the reviews of the loopy book by that woman I knew at college were generally favourable, ridiculously so, considering her frothing-at-the-mouth prose-style. This is odd because both books are in the oh-what-is-wrong-with-this-terrible-modern-world genre, but one is written by someone who seems sane and thoughtful, while the other is written by someone who seems to have stuck her finger into the electric socket a few too many times while trying to plug in her laptop. Why such a divergence in responses? Could it be because the former was written by a Christian bloke, while the latter was penned (dribbled) by a goggle-eyed, blonde, big-titted, Wicca worshipper?

4 Comments:

Blogger Songshards said...

You had me in fits of laughter about the ancient Persians eating sandwiches. I prefer toasties myself - sandwiches (the ones with interesting fillings) are too messy. Had a smoked salmon, cream cheese, roasted vegies and mustard toastie for lunch. Yum.

10:35 am  
Blogger dgny said...

I often find a divergence between what I enjoy reading and what the reviewers rave about. Then again, I'm not like them so there you go...

5:03 pm  
Blogger Tiny said...

Different people have different opinions and so reviews can only serve as a reference. It's also interesting to compare your own review to other people's. I enjoy a chick lit every so often but my friend detests it.

11:52 am  
Blogger 962 said...

Books i love them in steamed buns

9:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home