31 December, 2007

Cold

I am in bed with a cold. The rest of them have hard-heartedly gone out for a walk on the common, as if to rub in their state of rude good health.

I am keeping myself entertained by watching the birds' stealth attacks on our bedroom window birdfeeder. They do not stay more than the 2 seconds it takes them to grab a seed and get the hell out of there. What are they afraid of? It is not as if anything has ever happened to any of them when they visited the birdfeeder. Talk about Live and Don't Learn.

I also have the Times Killer Sudoku Book 3, Nigel Williams' Fortysomething, a bumper box of Waitrose tissues, a cup of hot tea, half a packet of rich tea biscuits, half a packet of Panadol and the security fob that gets me into my work e-mail, in case I am overcome by attack of conscience and feel the need to check it.

We went up to Oxford on Saturday to show the kids round our old college and inspire in them a great desire to study hard and eventually go there:

Larry: Which would you rather I went to, Oxford or Cambridge?
Me: Oxford, because I went there. But you will have to work very hard as it is very difficult to get in.
Larry: How did you get in then?

Huh. I recommended that she study some low-demand subject like Theology. Or Zoology, like my friend the Blonde from Kenya, who wrote to the Zoology tutor at Keble asking for information, and came away with a conditional offer, without even having to sit the exam. Or Lit Hum, which is actually interesting. Or Mandarin, which is interesting, immensely useful, and she is actually good at. On no account should she do English, as her father and I did, as it is insanely competitive and entirely useless. Why did you do it then, she said. I had to inform her that, in many respects, her parents are not the sharpest pencils in the box.

Unfortunately the old college was shut, as there was only one porter on the gate and he was not allowed to let anyone in "in case you injure yourselves". Clearly the college has an equally limited view of the mental acuity of its alumni.

Went to the Trout for lunch. Devastated to find that all its character has been ripped out and been replaced by a soulless generic gastropub design. Inspector Morse wouldn't have stood for it! We will not be going back. Why do things always have to change for the worse?

Went for a walk on Port Meadow afterwards. There was a brisk wind blowing. Curly said: Why is there so much poo? There is poo here, poo there, poo everywhere!

11 Comments:

Blogger dgny said...

What, no Lemsip? Better get LSS to pick some up or you'll fail that British exam.

4:55 pm  
Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

Happy Atchoo Year!

7:01 pm  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

And Cadbury's hot chocolate. You'll need plenty of that to pass the exam.

First BAA strike is called off so I will be joining you in wonderous Wandsworth (am I worthy?) on 10th after all. But second strike hasn't been called off so I may be making a return visit ...

11:27 am  
Blogger FBT said...

Goody, we're buying new beds in your honour. Now if we just had somewhere to put them...

5:26 pm  
Blogger 962 said...

happy new year
What will 2008 bring
not democracy to hong kong

12:17 am  
Blogger Tiny said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Happy New Year.

12:21 am  
Blogger Songshards said...

What is it about illness and stay-at-home holidays? I ended up with a bad stiff neck, Etch caught some type of tummy bug and a friend and her hubby who also decided to stay home over Christmas ended up with the flu!

Well, I guess it's better than planning an exciting globe trot and then falling sick.

Anyway, hope you're loads better now! Happy New Year!

3:23 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can I be the only one to find the thought of the Phiz and a box of tissues strangely exciting?

11:41 am  
Blogger FBT said...

how about the thought of me and a bed full of biscuit crumbs?

10:46 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, err! Now you're talking.

2:17 pm  
Blogger 962 said...

A slight failing on my part and im relegated to the B list of bloggers. Now I understand why Fume likes the phiz. Its the domination, dont perform your relegated, no nonsense, just cast aside, your previous efforts discarded your current performace is the factor the only factor considered.
Should I plead for the A list, no I will just hope that the Christian side of Phiz recognises with charity my inability to blog.

7:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home