01 October, 2008

Weird Shocks

Karaoke night for Little Squish's birthday last night. It was the first time I've ever done karaoke and it was excellent. I was a bit worried at first that I would come over all shy, but had not factored in that I would be there with a whole bunch of British people. I mean, I thought I was reserved - but I am nowhere compared to the British. Either that or there is some kind of exhibitionist gene in our family which allows even staid bankers to stand up and sing tunelessly to songs that they don't know very well, without batting an eyelid. Then the sister's even more exhibitionist drama school chums turned up and the rest of the Brits caved and ended up happily singing along to YMCA and Don't Stop Me Now, like everyone else.

Shock of the evening - I put on Heroes and it got skipped out of the playlist because NO ONE ELSE KNEW IT. How can they not know Heroes, for God's sake? I mean how young are they? Or rather, how old am I?!

Another weird shock. There were some chaps behind me in the lift lobby the other day speaking German and it gave me a strange erotic thrill. I have never before liked the German language. I tried to learn it once at school and I just couldn't get with it. Every time I looked in the textbook at all the cheery German dialogue, saying Thank you and Please and How much is a cup of coffee? I could not help thinking, I bet you weren't this friendly when you were throwing the Jews on the fires forty years ago. And now, thirty years later, I'm finding German sexy? What's wrong with me? Am I a masochist? Do I get off on power and domination? Am I going to end up like something out of Night Porter? Or is it just the time of the month when I find absolutely anything sexy (could be).

I took a look at the 3 blokes when I got onto the lift. They were not sexy. Still, made a mental note to watch Downfall again. What's wrong with me?!

11 Comments:

Blogger mango said...

It's even more enthralling when you can understand what they're saying. Although that also goes for any language besides English.

1:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Do I get off on power and domination?"

Come on, Phiz, don't come over all innocent with us. I expect you wore leather nappies and your pram had tracks instead of wheels.

2:25 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Come visit Austria again, where the blue-eyed far-right boy has pulled off an election coup, and I bet your impure thoughts will suddenly vanish.

8:01 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

The perils of a system that leads to coalition government.

10:15 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Well here's hoping for another round of EU sanctions against Austria. Should take people's minds off the economic situation for a while.

7:12 am  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

And perhaps you'd agree that propertional representation is better than no representation?

7:13 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

Essentially, I believe in majority rule; and there are of course many variations of majority rule.

7:21 am  
Blogger FBT said...

so I'm trying to talk about Nazi S&M practices and you two prefer to discuss the merits of proportional representation? And I thought I was sick!

6:56 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

When Ulie says he is in favour of majority rule, then teasingly says there are many variations of this, I believe he is referring to, and voting for, rule of, i.e. _over_, the majority, for example by a whip-yielding dominatrix.

7:01 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Or 'wielding', even.

7:25 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

No, I like "whip-yielding dominatrix" better, fumie. Conjures up images of Barack Obama. Tough ... but nice. Compassionate ... but strong.

7:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home