24 April, 2007

Homeward Bound

Arrangements for our return to UK are gathering steam. I’ve got an end date for HK of 30 June and when I’m in London this week I’m going to try to get a start date in London of 1 August or maybe even 1 September, leaving me with a nice month or two to get the family settled in before I start back at work. Someone told me that that lovely Blair government has brought in some kind of leave allowance for having kids under five - every bit of which I've missed out on by being out of the UK. But Curly is still under five, soooo maybe it's not too late to take advantage of at least some of it.

I’m getting quite excited about this – back in our own place at last! It may be half the size of our current place with only one loo, the paper may be peeling off the walls, and Mrs Downstairs Neighbour may hate us (because we are thin, brown and clever, and she is the opposite), but it’s our own place. And hopefully by the end of the year we will have found and moved into a house.

But I’m already beginning to miss Asia in advance. I know once we’re back I will find myself wandering down Gerrard Street, sniffing the smell of the roast pork, and bewailing my stupidity at ever leaving Asia.

13 Comments:

Blogger dgny said...

How exciting! I know I'm glad I left HK and I'm reasonably certain I'm glad I left Asia, but there's no question, I'd rather be somewhere other than "home"...

Definitely try for the "adjustment" time - it will be hot and miserable and no A/C come August and the last thing you'll want to do is schlep off to work.

1:53 pm  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Stuff your face with all the char siu bau and tom yum you can get your greasy little mits on. Cold beets and schnapps is all I have for comfort now. Well, and real coffee. And fresh bread.

3:10 pm  
Blogger dgny said...

That must be Lamma Hippie! Lucky lass, we need a man report. Are they rugged?

4:20 pm  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

Slovenian mountain report #1: Rugged doesn't begin to describe the men. Those under 80, at least. Unfortunately our village seems to have a distressing number of older inhabitants. Sigh.

8:10 pm  
Blogger dgny said...

Sounds like my village (the geezers, anyway)! So do they smell like onions? I had a mate who turned up her nose at all men Eastern Europe on this basis.

8:35 pm  
Blogger FBT said...

Slovenian Mountain Woman! At last you have caved (ha ha) and sloped (ha) off to join the blogging community.

Rugged men smelling of onions eh? Slovenia here I come.

9:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is sad news, Phiz. Hong Kong will be distinctly less moist after you have gone.

2:33 am  
Blogger Songshards said...

The best of luck with your plans Phiz! As long as you keep blogging I won't miss you. :-)

9:48 am  
Blogger random.thoughts said...

you must buy me a pint at the Mitre on your return to the smoke.

11:13 pm  
Blogger ulaca said...

"Brown"? You been on the sun bed again?!

4:50 am  
Blogger FBT said...

you're on, Mr Ink

7:33 am  
Blogger Tiny said...

Although I was born and raised in HK, I don't want to live there. Yet, I feel sad to hear you are moving away out of HK.

5:46 am  
Blogger FBT said...

I am sad too, but just got back from my London trip, which I greatly enjoyed, so I am really looking forward to being back in that great big humming buzzing metropolis.

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home