24 September, 2007

Biscuits

On Sunday I was reading Nigel Slater on English biscuits in the Observer, while eating egg, chips and beans with the kids at our local Turkish greasy spoon, and felt impelled to go to the Waitrose across the street to buy:

Tunnocks Teacakes
Jaffa Cakes
custard creams
bourbons
jammy dodgers
fudge
mint humbugs
orange sherbets

The children were stunned. What had happened to their lecturing-them-about-good-nutrition mother?

Now they are all in our breadbin (the treats, not the children) and I will not have to complain about there never being anything sweet in the house to eat after dinner for another week.

12 Comments:

Blogger ulaca said...

I've struggled in vain to get the Mei Foo branch of the Li Ka Shing cartel to stock Jaffa Cakes. I've been tantalising my 11-yr-old with tales of how delicious they are. Fun to see her lose her customary proto-teenage sang froid as she drools at the prospect.

10:20 am  
Blogger 962 said...

to risk repition of some months ago

Where is the ginger biscuits or even where are

10:20 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where is Mei Foo?

10:21 am  
Blogger 962 said...

jaffas oh dear you will have to go to city super

On my visits to the UK I have a whole day eating buscuits in bed with tea and a good book

I have gone in as a founder member of the sad bastards club

10:22 am  
Blogger 962 said...

what is wrong with my spelling today????

10:23 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

Stop rattling fumie's cage - he's ever so frisky today.

3:29 pm  
Blogger Troika said...

I just found Mei Foo on the map. It seems to be somewhere near a place called Lai King, but God knows how to get there.

2:17 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are they on the Tube?

2:39 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

Of course God knows the way. Kowloon is God's Own Country, after all.

7:08 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

There must always be something sweet in your house, Phiz - by definition.

12:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ginger nuts or bourbons - nothing else will do. Jaffa cakes? Not even close. Can you still get wagon wheels? I used to get one in my (primary) school lunch box.

2:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you ever get any (chocolate) fingers in your (lunch) box, Shirl?

1:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home