09 October, 2007

Cycling

Weekend before last I went with Curly to the reopening of St Martin in the Fields. It had been closed for restoration for about a year. The vicar quoted the passage from Orwell, about how St Martins had been turned into a museum for propaganda in his horrible version of the world in 1984, and got quite emotional, I suppose thinking about how his beloved church was still a church. The restoration had been in the planning for 10 years, so I guess it's not surprising he was so emotionally invested. The service lasted 2 1/2 hours! and Curly was so good the woman sitting next to us leaned over at the end of the service to congratulate her on her good behaviour - not something that often happens. Afterwards we went to the cafe at the Nat Gal and shared a chicken pie. A good day.

Took kids out on the common with their bikes on Saturday. They were the only bike-riding kids on the common not wearing bike helmets. I ask you! When I were a lass, we used to ride ont' tarmac bareheaded and be grateful if we landed in t'ditch when we fell off.

6 Comments:

Blogger dgny said...

Helmets, pah! We didn't even own helmets! But it's the law now. But then I had a mate who had to have his entire face re-sown when he went through a windscreen. He says he wishes he was wearing a helmet.

8:16 pm  
Blogger FBT said...

oooh. Maybe it's the law in the UK. Five minutes later - googled it, no, it doesn't appear to be.

10:12 pm  
Blogger 962 said...

Helmets stuff of nonsense

Most do not fit or are adjusted badly which renders them worse than useless.

There is nothing like the wind in the hair.

Stick to going commando on the bike.

Funny thing, in the first world war troops had no steel helmets for a long time. On this ocassion however I can see the need.

Dont you find it amusing when the road contractors have a helmet on when you walk by just inches from them.

Please pass the state law maker so I can breast feed him.

Its a bit like that bloody twat that suggested we should stop using real knives and forks on planes. However in bussiness class you get the real thing. So it only goes to show you wont be a terrorist if you fly bussiness class. Personally faced with a broken wine bottle or a butter knife I would surrender to the wine bottle every day. On such ocaasions when in pleb class and I snap the plastic knife while trying to cut trhe plastic food I remember Osama and say f**k you you bloody demented rag head. Then Im give up on the food and have another beer.

Sorry about all that

1:47 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

The joy of the C of E marriage service is that it lasts less than half an hour. Unpretentious, simple, plain, anti-intellectual. Makes me proud to be English. But then I love weddings - my feminine side, I suppose.

5:43 am  
Blogger gilamonster said...

BB says it's very bad not to wear helmets. He has flown head over heels over his handlebars enough times to know. Apparently you just need to fall 3 feet onto your head to kill yourself.... but I don't know where he got that statistic from.

12:23 pm  
Blogger dgny said...

Some interesting stuff on helmets here.

5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home