16 October, 2007

Wagner

I tried to get tickets for the Ring Cycle today, any one of the parts, the papers have been raving so about the production. Totally sold out. Called the box office for returns and a very nice well-spoken man called Andrew kindly went through all the available returns for me for the remaining 8 dates. The very cheapest one available was for GBP170. Try something about GBP150 south of that, I wanted to say.

Anyway, I looked on the website tonight in a hopeless sort of way and hooray! there was one ticket available for Das Rheingold on Wednesday at only(!) GBP42. My journey into Wagner starts here. I have 36 hours to educate myself on Wagner.

There are standing only tickets for the Gotterdammerung at GBP8. Can I take 4.5 hours of standing up? Think I'll see how Das Rheingold goes first.

3 Comments:

Blogger gilamonster said...

Is this at the ROH? If so, I think I've dealt with helpful Andrew before. Woe betide if you try to get a refund from them for anything. They cancelled a performance of Into the Woods once and it was an absolute trial getting the money back.

11:30 pm  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

When in Ljubljana this summer I went with a group of fellow language students to a performance of Wagner arias. (Yes, yes, I know it's opera-lite, but there's no way you'd get me to stand through 4 1/2 hours of the real thing.) Anyway it was a fantastic mittle-European experience, everyone dressed up, 90-year-old grand dame in front of us who used REAL opera glasses and gave the soprano a standing ovation, the mezzo-sporano diva with a truly magnificent chest who audibly addressed the conductor as maestro. As for the conductor, he was a short and tremendously theatrical man with a mop of curly hair who threw his baton across the stage with the emotion of it all (said baton retrieved in a very matter-of-fact fashion by the first violinist, who was clearly used to this behaviour).
In short, hope you have as much fun as we did!

8:50 am  
Blogger 962 said...

first time i went to luby jana thought it was a place they made engine oil

3:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home