24 November, 2007

Blade Runner

went to Brixton Ritzy last night with a motley crew of film nerds to see the final absolutely the last never again stop tinkering Ridley for the love of God director's cut of Blade Runner. The opening credits came up with that long plunging Vangelis note over them and took me straight back 25 years to watching it on a crappy pirate video in my mum's house in PJ for the very first time. It was a thundery afternoon. I watched it all the way through captivated, rewound the tape (ah, those were the days when you had to rewind the tape!) and watched it all over again. God, I love that movie. Only sad thing was I remember when I first watched it thinking how world-weary Harrison Ford looked, just like the noirish seamus he is supposed to be playing. Now I think how fresh-faced and young he looks. And I - I look and feel like a female JF Sebastian. Sad.

Went back to someone's for fishpie and film talk afterwards. Learnt to my great excitement that we live on the same road as Rupert Penry Jones, the Spooks heartthrob. I am going to stake out his house and drool.

It was a lovely cold clear night. Full moon and stars.

Curly had a couple of little friends around for her birthday tea today. One was very sweet, chatty and up for anything. The other didn't say a word, other than to advise us that she didn't like her orange juice and lemonade, didn't like her mushy peas, and didn't like the cream on the birthday cake. Dear, dear. Never mind. Funny how people are so different even at such a young age.

We have a provisional completion date on our house - 7th January. I'm excited!

Apart from making the cake, I've had a very lazy day. I'm marshalling my energies as I have to go to New York next week and worse than that - aaargh! - Buffalo.

10 Comments:

Blogger gilamonster said...

Didn't get invited to tea. Sniff, sniff...

9:30 pm  
Blogger random.thoughts said...

I have a list of films that I've never seen but feel I should have and Blade Runner is up there. I feel inadequate and ashamed.

Until recently I could claim to never have seen a James Bond film all the way through as well but a recent showing of most of the recent ones on ITV3 has changed all that.

10:38 am  
Blogger random.thoughts said...

...not that I think Blade Runner is a James Bond film :-)

10:40 am  
Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

Saw it first in the old art house cinema in Cambridge circa 1985. The finger-snapping part haunts me. Saw director's cut a couple of years ago but didn't think much of it. Is this yet another cut?

10:48 am  
Blogger FBT said...

Bobs - sorry little squish, didn't occur to me that you would want to spend your Sat afternoon knee-deep in little girls. We'll do tea when I get back from NY.

RT - you SHOULD be ashamed. But at least you have something to look forward to.

Ink - yes there is and it is no improvement on the original with the David Peoples' voiceover.

2:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm quite partial to a bit of fish pie.

12:10 am  
Blogger 962 said...

You have to cook a buffalo??

Still when you get into the new house that should be easier.

4:27 am  
Blogger random.thoughts said...

I've heard I just watch the very first original print of Blade Runner and ignore all these subsequent cuts, is this true?

8:51 pm  
Blogger fish said...

Occasionally I go through the process of naming my favorite movies (blog posts, casual conversations, whatever) and Blade Runner is (I think) the only movie that is always on the list. My opinion is unwavering across moods or time. I will take any cut.

12:39 am  
Blogger FBT said...

yes, first is best. Just once I would like to see a director's cut that is shorter than the original. The second Batman film for instance should be recut to just have the Michelle Pfeiffer scenes in it. And they should rename it Catwoman. And then excise the Halle Berry Catwoman from collective human consciousness.

Hullo, Fish, what good taste you have. The film that is always on my list is Some Like It Hot.

2:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home