11 November, 2007

Remembrance Sunday

All my life I've always bought plain white loo paper and plain white kitchen paper. The other day I thought, I'm going to give myself a treat and buy the kitchen paper with the pretty blue willow pattern on it - because it will cheer me up every time I use the kitchen paper. This is what I've come to! Getting solace from patterned kitchen paper. Sod minimalism.

I realised today that ever since I finished the Chateaubriand, I've been bereft. For the 6 months that it took me to read the Memoirs d'Outre Tombe, it was like having a friend, and now my friend has gone away. I'm tempted to go back and just read it all over again. But there are so many things I haven't read even once that I should really hit first. Anyway...

Went to the Remembrance Sunday service today. Church was heaving. I'd dragged the children along, having decided that their spiritual education had gone neglected for long enough. They sang I vow to thee my country, and sounded the Last Post, and it was really quite affecting. If LSS had been there, being the emotional chap he is, he would definitely have teared up.

Brunch with the sister and fiance at Canteen by the Royal Festival Hall today. I had devilled kidneys on toast. Good. Nice place. Cute Germanic waiter.

Watching Conte d'Automne (sp.?). Filled with urge to slap the irritating little chit in it - I'm sure when I was 20 I would have thought she was dead sophisticated. I'm pleased to see the past 20 years have not failed to leave their mark on me.

9 Comments:

Blogger 962 said...

Thats it all in one post

The last post
The hymns
Remembrance Sunday and the cute German waiter

Wars, uhh, what are they good for?
Absolutely nothing!!!!

Nice to hear that sky news has got the hang of it
"more people were at the cenotaph this year because of the Iraq war!!!


Still I did miss the dog shit part, no common this weekend

Will be going to the frozen wastes tonight.
I of course expect, in my absence to be demoted to the nearly rans
however,
What a lovely present it would be to find im still in the top ten when I return

12:50 am  
Blogger dgny said...

They wheeled in 4 vets to the G's school on Friday for show and tell. Apparently one of his mates was gabbing away at one of them only to discover he couldn't talk. She was upset.

4:36 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, yes, but what about the bog rolls? Have you switched away from white?

6:06 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

Not half as upset as he must have been, DG...

6:17 am  
Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

Isn't Canteen jolly? I'm going today for lunch. The puddings are great, orange jelly with shortbread.

8:32 am  
Blogger 962 said...

DG
I know glass houses and I dont have stones but!!!
DG what are you saying
4 paraplegic vets attended the school and one was also dumb.
Or was the vet talking only to find one of the students was dumb
And what has that got to do with white toilet paper
Well I ask you

9:28 am  
Blogger FBT said...

some things are sacrosanct, Fumie.

Ink, I had the treacle tart with cream. It was good, but not as good as the treacle tart at school. Now that was tart you could get your teeth into and come out feeling like you'd been in a fight! The Canteen tart just gives way beneath your teeth. What I want is a tart that will give my jaws a good chewy workout. (Fill in your own double entendre here).

9:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are such a tease, Phiz.

5:02 am  
Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

Macaroni cheese, which was macaroniy and cheesy was my lot, followed by apple crumble. When I was there last time I had vegetable pie with greens and mash and the self same treacle tart (your points noted and mostly agreed with). Next time it'll be devilled kidneys with an Arbroath Smokie as a main. I scoff at your double entendres.

7:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home