25 August, 2007

Weekly Catch-Up

I have been to the gym every day this week! It is the high point of my "working" day. Much discussion about how our very big boss is chewing his cuticles so much that they're bleeding, although in other respects he seems strangely calm. Personally I like people with nervous habits. It makes them seem more human.

Went out for a drink with some of the people from the London team at Plateau, the bar above the Waitrose in CW. They are all little babies of twenty-something. Made me feel exceedingly decrepit. Also got my haircut this week. No-one in my family has noticed. Suspect I am just part of the wallpaper to them. Daddy, who is that strange woman who comes in at night and goes out in the morning? On the other hand, LSS popped out to Threshers last night and then stopped outside playing with the satnav in the car for half an hour and Mo was almost in tears because his daddy was "missing".

Got home the other day to find both LSS and Larry in brand new we-bought-it-in-the-Gap-sale clothes. How about you, Curly? I said. Did you get anything? Curly lifts her dress above her head: I got some new pants!

I love catching the train from Barnes Bridge every morning. It is so pleasant and cool and when you look down the railway line in one direction, all you can see is greenery.

One thing I've noticed since coming back - British men are extremely polite. They're constantly holding doors open for you, letting you go first in the lift, giving you their seat on the train etc. I hadn't really missed it when I was in Asia, but I'm certainly enjoying it now I'm back!

We're going to look at a Regency villa in Wandsworth today. It looks fantastic on the website and I want it already although it is a good GBP150k more than I had in mind. Never mind - the kids don't really need a public school education methinks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tiny said...

Keeping the door open for the person behind you is quite common here but not a lot of men would let you go first.

5:52 pm  
Blogger 962 said...

I have been dropped

I religously turn to your blog every day giggle where I can

What have I done, Is it my spelling or my purile comments

I would notice your hair cut, honest I would

Dropped from the top 10 from 1 to none

Sad very sad

PS I will pick your apricots honest I will

2:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

She is ckufing ckifle, 962.

4:58 am  
Blogger dgny said...

I want to know, how do you remember the things the kidlets say/do? The G says funny things all the time and yet they go in one ear and out the other. I'd love just an ounce of your retention!

7:22 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still in the top 10 and I don't even have a blog! Eat your heart out, 962.

1:38 am  
Blogger ulaca said...

Michael Halliday, a systemic functional linguist of some repute, for reasons I never could fathom, did a study on his poor son Nigel in the 60s. This involved transcribing from endless spools of tape on those enormous magnétophones, fondly remembered from schooldays before the advent of the language lab. The best part of the resulting book is when he "translates" one of N's utterances as a 3 yr-old. "Da...dada...Ba!" becomes "Daddy, put on the Dvorak and the Bartok!"

Perhaps in the same spirit FBT uses a camcorder - or her mobile?

2:59 am  
Blogger 962 said...

Fumie it had not gone unnoticed

1:32 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Between you and me, 2 old chap, I think the Phiz has a bit of a soft spot for me and can't bear to delete me.

7:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home