21 May, 2007

Feeding the Girls

Saturday LSS was down at the club watching the FA Cup final with his cronies. I looked in the cupboard to see what to feed the girls (Mo was at a football party sleepover). There was no food in the house apart from a vast selection of tinned soups, and some tins of dace left over from when we were stockpiling against avian flu.

Baked potato and baked beans? I said hopefully. Yes, please, mummy, said the little darlings angelically looking up from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody on the Disney Channel.

Oh, no, the oven won't light. In fact, it hasn't been working since 2 weeks ago when I tried to bake biscuits for church. I microwave the potatoes which is strictly against my "rules" as I do not understand why it is dangerous for me to irradiated by a leaking microwave oven, but it is not dangerous for me to eat food that has been irradiated by a microwave oven.

And oh no, there are no baked beans either. Replace them with sardines. It's a little unorthodox, but this is how great culinary ideas are born.

Girls wake up very early on Sunday and beg to be taken down to McDonalds for twisty pasta breakfast.

6 Comments:

Blogger dgny said...

What's a dace? I go this from wikipedia A dace is any of a number of species of small cyprinid fish - is that what you mean?

5:19 am  
Blogger gilamonster said...

You can't buy blummin' dace here anymore. I think it has been culled in the godforsaken, no meat or fish products from anywhere else except the EU despite the meat/fish here being no great shakes directive.

5:42 am  
Blogger FBT said...

DG - as far as I am concerned there is only one kind of dace: it comes fried in an oval tin, with a tasty black bean sauce.

Bobs - I am scared to eat it, although I love it, because I suspect they are fished from the Pearl River delta, possibly the most polluted body of water on earth.

6:37 am  
Blogger 962 said...

Its fine to eat as long as it dosent glow when you turn the lights out
Thats why its often served with black bean sauce it reduces the fluorecent affect

8:55 am  
Blogger mango said...

Hazarding a guess as to why it's dangerous for you to be irradiated by a leaking microwave oven, but it is not dangerous for you to eat food that has been irradiated by a microwave oven. Might be for the same reason it's not dangerous for you to eat potatoes that have been cooked in boiling water on a stove, while it would be dangerous, or at least highly painful and unpleasant, to pour the boiling water from the pot over you or to immerse your hand in it.

6:38 am  
Blogger FBT said...

Good point! But I'm still not convinced that it's a good idea to eat food that has been exposed to prolonged bombardment by microwaves.

6:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home