11 February, 2008

Scones

What a lovely weekend! Spring is here. At Larry’s insistence, we went for a picnic on Sunday. Wanted to go to Polesden Lacey, but ended up at the Wetland Centre in Barnes because LSS wanted to get back in time to watch the rugby. “I LOVE picnics!” declares Larry, balancing on a boulder on one foot, with her mouth full of pate and raspberries. I love picnics too because all my self-imposed rules are broken for picnics – I buy expensive out-of-season stuff that is air-freighted from faraway countries, as well as not-good-for-you stuff, like millionaire’s shortbread, and you can eat it in any order you like, not all the boring virtuous stuff first and then the treats later, because they’re all treats.

In the afternoon baked scones, at Curly’s request. This is the first time I have made them in years and my God were they good! Well done Delia Smith. We ate them still warm from the oven, with damson jam from the last church fete and whipped cream left over from Larry’s birthday party. They were incredibly light – it was like eating warm sweet rich air. For some reason we don’t have any regular table salt, just some fancy-schmancy sea salt flakes, so I had to use those in the scones, and actually it worked well. Every now and then you would get a little salt explosion in your mouth, to add some intensity to the creamy airiness.

I also practised making flapjacks, as I have signed up to produce some for a church jamboree at the end of February. These were not so successful, so if anyone has a good flapjack recipe, please let me know!

I’m copying the Guardian columnists and saying what I’m up to this week:

This afternoon I’m going to be doing a mentoring session at Royal Docks school – scary. I cannot imagine what I could possibly have to say that might add any value to your average inner city teenager’s life.

In the evening, it’s Messiah practice with the Southwest London Choral Soc.

The rest of the week is a featureless desert – although Mo is on half-term which means I don’t have to supervise his homework in the evening – so maybe I will finally get down to the RFH to catch some of the Messiaen From the Canyons to the Stars season.

And then on Saturday we’re going to an Indian wedding somewhere up in the wilds of north London. Goody, Indian food.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"Every now and then you would get a little salt explosion in your mouth, to add some intensity to the creamy airiness."

You're a shocker, Phiz, you really are.

7:38 am  
Blogger mango said...

Can I have the scone recipe? Although knowing me they'll probably come out like little bricks.

12:24 pm  
Blogger dgny said...

It's hard to bake in the tropics, Mango, don't take it personally. I made some banana-zuchinni bread yesterday and it was light and airy, too. I was used to the yummy but dense brick it was in HK, it took me quite by surprise.

Sea salt is good stuff - like it on top of rolls, too, makes them taste like pretzels.

By flapjacks, do you mean pancakes? If so, I have a good recipe. Will dredge it up. Key is making sure the pan is hot enough, but not too hot. Usually the first batch is hit or miss but once you get the heat right, they should all come out lovely. Turn them when the bubbles pop and are not filled in, leaving crumpet-like holes.

3:09 pm  
Blogger Caroline Biebuyck said...

How did the mentoring session go? (And what on earth possed you to sign up for this?!)

6:30 am  
Blogger Songshards said...

I didn't even know scones could be light. Have always had the chocolatey brick ones.

7:09 am  
Blogger FBT said...

Fumie, you seem to be talking about something else, I'm not sure what...

Songshards, I didn't know scones could be light either. I thought they were supposed to be cold and bricklike.

11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home